Saturday, January 17, 2009

Life is like a box of chocolates ...

Life is like a box of chocolates... you never know what you're gonna get. ...

After spending some time looking at maps, thinking about which bike I want to ride and in general daydreaming about July, I have decided to spend my 60th birthday in a place I have never been, but wanted to visit for over 20 years.

Savannah, GA

All the times we have passed that way have either been part of a mad dash to Florida, or the ride home to Virginia. Something I read decades ago was set in Savannah and from that seed, a vision of the historic part of the city has grown. I am ready to enjoy it. Lets see, a walking town (plus one), great food (plus two), more great food (donuts - plus three), history (plus four), architecture (plus five) and high temperature and humidity (minus 0.5). Sounds good to me.

So the plan at this moment is to spend July 6-10 there, or something like that. We are planning to rent a timeshare in the historic area if any family or friends want to join us for part or all of that time. If no-one joins us we will stay at a B&B or historic hotel.

We will be coming from Baton Rouge celebrating Kent's second birthday and continuing back home for me to begin the motorcycle part of the July trip. Most likely we will be in a car as the train is too complicated to get to all these places. But who knows what will happen.

The motorcycle part is now down to either the East coast of Md, Virginia and North Carolina visiting friends (Pat, lock your doors!) or Birmingham, Alabama where I will visit Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum and the Birmingham Civil Rights district. I met the museum director on the train last year and he promised me a good time. I bet there is some great food there as well as interesting friends I haven't met yet.

Then on to Vintage Motorcycle Days and either camping or staying at the hostel. Rumor has it that this might be the last year of this event :( I'll try to visit the AMA museum, get my hair cut in Newark, OH and eat the "walleye special" at the bar & grill across the street from the barber shop. I am sure that I will volunteer for the museum at VMD again this year, it was great fun to help out last year. Anyone want to join us there? July 23-26. Money back if you don't like it.

Let me know if you can fit into the plans in any way.

6 comments:

GramPa said...

Savannah, GA.,,,,
We were there for a day about ten years ago. Always planned to go back and stay more than a day. Wanted to have a glass of wine at "Midnight in the garden of good and evil"... July here on the coast may melt you mountain folks, but this sounds like a doable thing to celebrate our 60th. Email some more details. Early July is a slow time for the crops BUT there may be "Fresh picked Corn".
MR

GramPa said...

Savannah, GA
We were there for a day about ten years ago. Always ment to get back again. Wanted to have a glass of wine at "Midnight in the garden of good and evil".
This could be a great trip to celebrate our 60th (all of us apparently).
Email me more details... Does Peter know of this plan?????
MR

GramPa said...

Savannah???? We were there for a day about ten years ago. Always ment to go back and stay a little longer. This sounds like the right time to do it. Maybe have a glass of wine at "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" if we can find it and stay awake that late..:-]].. Could be a great way to celebrate surviving 6o years... does Peter know of this????
Email me more details.
MR

Mom B said...

Ron

My doors will never be locked to you. Looking forward to showing you some real Eastern Shore Hospitality. Steamed Crabs, softcrabs and maybe if time permits a trip to the winery in St. Michaels. Sounds like a winner to me.

Theotherjew said...

I went and rented "Midnight in the Garden of ...." yesterday at Blockbusters. I wanted to buy it, but they could not 'sell' it to me. However they said that since there are no late fees, I could just keep it. The reason there are no late fees is they give you one week grace period and then they charge the cost of the movie to your credit card. However the guy looked up the 'cost' on this copy and it was $0 as it was so old and rented so many times. So we shall see....

I am waiting for Ann to get home to watch the movie, the dogs were not interested, they wanted to get into the bed with me which was just fine...

I'll bring the DVD to Savannah in case you haven't seen it and want to.

Mom B said...

Ron i saw that movie and thought it was very good. Hopefully you will get to keep it and $0 is a good price. Enjoy