Monday, January 3, 2011

Summer Trip Planning has begun!

I recently posted a version of this to the "Slash 2 list" read and populated by other people who ride and love these old bikes. I got a lot of good ideas and some offers to meet the people whose words have informed my riding experience for ten years or more. I now open it up to you to make suggestions, but I'll take a few off the table to avoid both of you typing the same thing:

0- I will be careful, but not full of cares.

1- I don't choose to ride interstate highways, but sometimes they are good.

2- I know that the mid-west holds less charm for motorcyclists then the Mountains on either side of it, and I know it is hot there in July. But for me it is mind over matter and having traversed at least part of the mid-west each July for some years, I can say with some confidence that I will survive it again.

3- I do take my time and smell the roses - that is what the trip is all about. I do not plan the details, only a loose list of places to try and visit. If I don't make it, there is usually next year.

Speaking of next year, Ann and I are getting pretty serious about the "Ride your bike to France" trip. Maybe on a modern bike. That trip is actually more miles than Oregon, and a lot of water crossings.

So here is the original post (with minor edits and a photo of the old R60):


I have friends in Beaverton Oregon that are expecting a baby in mid-July so I am looking at riding my old R60 out there, going west on the northern route via WV, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, South Dakota, Montana, Idaho, Washington and finally Oregon.

I guess I'll go to the coast while I am close, and return by the southern route via Dodge City to see Jim and his sweet wife. Maybe he will give me a ride in the MG.


So at this point having never traveled the good roads in the Iowa -> Oregon stretch on an old bike, I am open for suggested routes, cool things to stop and do, good local food, camping, etc. Any of you along the way that like to host crazy solo riders, let me know. I'd love to meet more of the list contributors.


View July 2011 draft map in a larger map

1 comment:

Beatrice P. Boyd said...

OBR, we have friends in Eugene, Oregon who have invited us to visit someday and Grenville is considering a train ride, but most likely not this year. We are talking about our next road trip and looks like Florida will be the destination as we both know folks throughout the state...but not going in summer - TOO HOT!