Sunday, July 25, 2010

Gulf Coast update

I am one day from home, but wanted to post a quick update from the last motel for this trip. I am in Commerce Georgia at exit 149 of I-85 and decide to try another in my long line of "never heard of it" motels, this one called the Dandelion Inn. Owner operated and very nice. I happen to get a ADA set-up room (must have looked like I needed it at 11pm last night!) with a King bed. Best part was it only cost $40. Anyway, got a good nights sleep and I am ready for the last leg of the trip. The Dandelion comes with my recommendation!

On the food front, I found a good one in Eufaula Alabama. The Cajun Corner is one of those places that looks like you are going to get Southern comfort food, but the menu had some surprises including creative deserts. I had North Shore Pasta which is Shrimp, crawfish morsels and Andouille sausage in your choice of a creme sauce or oil and garlic (which was my choice). Came with a surprisingly well built salad, more than any normal person could eat. I met some more friends I didn't know, three sisters that had come down from Opelika (about 1 hour away) to eat there. They invited me to share their table and that made for more fun. Ann and I lived in Opelika in 1974 when we were first married. The good news from them is that the Opelika schools have strong arts and music programs even in this era of tight budgets.

The beaches I visited had lots people on them, having fun and in the water. I saw no signs of oil except the signage. More details later, but here are a couple of photos...

No comments: